Watch this video to find out The Definition of Wisdom
Here’s what the Bible says about wisdom:
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
We read in Proverbs 4:7 that we are to “get wisdom” and “get understanding.”
What is Wisdom?
In my studies about Why We Don’t Experience Wisdom in Our Lives I performed a New Testament search for wisdom. There are 50 verses containing the word wisdom. I found it very interesting that in a large majority of the verses both wisdom and knowledge were coupled together.
Like this one in Col 2:3-
“In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.”
Webster’s 1912 Definition of Wisdom
1. The quality of being wise; knowledge, and the capacity to make due use of it; knowledge of the best ends and the best means; discernment and judgment; discretion; sagacity; skill; dexterity.
- We speak also not in wise words of man’s wisdom, but in the doctrine of the spirit. – Wyclif (1 Cor. ii. 13).
- Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.- Job xxviii. 28.
- It is hoped that our rulers will act with dignity and wisdom that they will yield everything to reason, and refuse everything to force.- Ames.
- Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.- Coleridge.
2. The results of wise judgments; scientific or practical truth; acquired knowledge; erudition.
Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds. – Acts vii. 22.
Wisdom is when you know how to apply knowledge to your daily life.
Wisdom consists of making the best use of knowledge.
As with any decision, a wise decision may be made with incomplete information The term for the opposite of wisdom is folly.
We all have KNOWLEDGE directly from the Bible.
Wisdom is seeing life from God’s perspective
Wisdom is seeing life from God’s point of view and understanding is learning to respond to life’s situations from God’s perspective. – Bill Gothard
Wisdom is Choosing God’s priorities
Solomon had his priorities in order.
For example, Solomon’s first priority was to seek after God with all his heart. Learning how to hear from God was a priority for Solomon.
Wisdom is Discernment to understand justice
“Give me now wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people: for who can judge this thy people, that is so great?” II Chronicles 1:10
1 Kings 3:9 states this pray in a different way revealing another definition of wisdom:
“Give Thy servant an understanding heart to judge Thy people and to know good and evil.”
James 1:5 Says To Ask For Wisdom
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him
More information on Wisdom
continue reading about Godly Wisdom
If you have a question or comment please let me know in the comment section below….